Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar Show MUTEL Theme Music

Snazzy secretaries, ringing telephones, tommy guns, cops and wobbers.
Hosted by Stewart Wright

Moderator: Stewart

Hal Evans

Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar Show MUTEL Theme Music

Postby Hal Evans » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:37 am

I was awestruck when I heard Doris Day sing,"My Heart Is Yours" on an OTR web show a few months ago. This song IS the Johnny Dollar theme. I'm referring to that hauntingly beautiful, rhapsodic melody from the old MUTEL production library that opened the JD show in the 50s & 60s, till it went off the air. Ironically, there was a Doris Day movie called, "Midnight Lace" that had a similar melody line! I doubt if this is just coincidence. :) :idea:

Alan

cool

Postby Alan » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:09 pm

Sounds awesome...i will be looking for it.

Any directions as to where i might hear a sample clip?

Thx

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:34 am

Hi Alan! Regarding the Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar show theme itself, there's a website that has a regularly scheduled JD show. That's the WNAR web site. Look it up on their daily schedule. I can't exactly recall the time. Then I'd suggest the Radio Spirits web site for the When Radio Was show listings. It's a waiting game though. No advance schedule. Same hit and miss waiting game on the other old time radio web sites. As to the Doris Day song, "My Heart Is Yours," I just happened to hear it on a (unsure of spelling here) SPERDVAC show this last summer on Yesterday Radio. I jumped out of my chair when I heard it. The announcer made no direct reference to that being the JD theme. Subtle! Ha! So now, that was from the Doris Day movie of the same name, which I found for sale on a web site. I do recall hearing that song when it was popular. So it really jogged my memory! In fact, the SPERDVAC DJ played both sides the that single record. The other side was the Geiger Counter Song. :) "Ironically," Doris Day's movie "Midnight Lace" had very, very similar theme music. So this is no coincidence! :) Note my quote marks around "Ironically." heh. I will go one step further and note that the old movie "It's Woman's World," also has the JD theme! It's a versioning of it. The Four Aces had a super hit of "It's A Woman's World" as well. Whew! So the JD theme has legs! It has been a very wonderful adventure tracing the song. I have at least one more example of old time radio themes that were heard again under diferent names. I let that be another post. :)

Hal Evans

JD Theme

Postby Hal Evans » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:38 am

Ohmygosh! I forgot to put my name in my reply to Alan on the JD theme. So, twas me, Yours Truly, Hal Evans. :) :)

Barbara Peterson

Johnny Dollar Theme...Sea Hunt theme

Postby Barbara Peterson » Mon May 15, 2006 12:21 am

Anybody here noticed that the Sea Hunt television theme (starring Lloyd Bridges) is awfully close to the Johnny Dollar theme? Or is it just me???

Barbara
The Thunder Chld
http://thethunderchild.com

Hal Evans

JD Theme & Sea Hunt Theme Similar

Postby Hal Evans » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:59 am

Yes! They ARE very close. The JD theme and the Sea Hunt theme. I wonder how Lloyd Bridges managed to not look wrinkled from all that swimming after crooks and adventure. Probably not a coincidence on the JD theme, though. My vote is that it is again the same composer I don't have my long posts handy, but if you go to a website called Classic Radio Themes, there is a huge discussion on OTR themes. The website owner leans toward David Rose as being the composer. However the composer's identity still remains a mystery. But I vote for the guy who composed "My Dream Is Yours." It is note-per-note the JD theme with some schlemming around for bridges in the song.

ZUrlocker

Re: Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar Show MUTEL Theme Music

Postby ZUrlocker » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:30 pm

Any ideas where I could download versions of the Johnny Dollar theme music? I really enjoyed the Bob Bailey versions of YTJD and I thought the theme music was outstanding.
Thanks
--Zack

Return to “Golden Age Detective Shows BBS”