Host of Radio show asked queations: gave silver dollars away

$64 was big money in the Golden Age of radio. Winning a silver dollar was great too!

Moderator: Jim Cox

gosoxgosox

Host of Radio show asked queations: gave silver dollars away

Postby gosoxgosox » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:36 pm

There was a radio show in the 1940s where the host asked members of the audience questions. Based on how hard the question was the host gave a quantity of silver dollars away: the harder the question, the more silver dollars the participant won if he/she answered the quesiotn correctly.

Normally, the host would say something like this to the audience member who gave the right response: "Twenty silver dollars to that gentleman for answering the question correctly."

Does anyone know the name of this radio program?
And was the host a Mr. Anthony, or if not, what was his name?

Thanks,
Robert

Lou
Site Admin

Postby Lou » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:04 am

<i>Take It or Leave It</i>, was heard from April 21, 1940, to July 27, 1947 on CBS
Hosts:
Bob Hawk (1940-41)
Phil Baker (1941-47)

It Switched to NBC in 1947
Hosts:
Phil Baker
Garry Moore (1947-49)
Eddie Cantor (1949-50)
Jack Paar (beginning June 11, 1950)

On September 10, 1950, <i>Take It or Leave It</i> changed its name to <i>The $64 Question.</i>

In 1990, the show was inducted into the National Radio Hall of Fame.

Big Don

Re: Host of Radio show asked queations: gave silver dollars away

Postby Big Don » Sun May 10, 2009 8:47 am

You are doubtless thinking of "Dr. I.Q., The Mental Banker." This show, sponsored by Mars Candy Co., came from a different city each week. "Mr. Anthony" was, in this case, Alan C. Anthony, who did those mouth=watering commercials for Milky Way, Snickers and Mars Bars. Milky Way had "rich milk chocolate, smooth caramel and creamy nougat." Gosh, makes my tastebuds salivate even today. Boxes of 24 candy bars and "two tickets to next week's production here at the Pantages Theatre" were given as consolation prizes to those who answered incorrectly. A feature was "The Thought Twister", such as "Dick was sick, said Mick to Rick; Dick WAS sick, Mick to him said Rick." Dr. I.Q. would repeat the phrase "one and one time only", and the contestant would have one chance to correctly repeat it back. Great show, I never missed it, as you may be able to tell.

marco05

Re: Host of Radio show asked queations: gave silver dollars away

Postby marco05 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:54 am

Big Don wrote:Chicago ShowVegas Show
You are doubtless thinking of "Dr. I.Q., The Mental Banker." This show, sponsored by Mars Candy Co., came from a different city each week. "Mr. Anthony" was, in this case, Alan C. Anthony, who did those mouth=watering commercials for Milky Way, Snickers and Mars Bars. Milky Way had "rich milk chocolate, smooth caramel and creamy nougat." Gosh, makes my tastebuds salivate even today. Boxes of 24 candy bars and "two tickets to next week's production here at the Pantages Theatre" were given as consolation prizes to those who answered incorrectly. A feature was "The Thought Twister", such as "Dick was sick, said Mick to Rick; Dick WAS sick, Mick to him said Rick." Dr. I.Q. would repeat the phrase "one and one time only", and the contestant would have one chance to correctly repeat it back. Great show, I never missed it, as you may be able to tell.

I loved Dr. IQ!!! And I loved the different commercials!!!!!!!!!!!!

evanjones246

Re: Host of Radio show asked queations: gave silver dollars

Postby evanjones246 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:41 am

+1... I was wondering the name of the show too. I was not very familiar with it, but I heard it referenced a few times, and no one could remember the name of the show. Thank you for sharing your insightful knowledge with the community. :)
Big Don wrote:You are doubtless thinking of "Dr. I.Q., The Mental Banker." This show, sponsored by Mars Candy Co., came from a different city each week. "Mr. Anthony" was, in this case, Alan C. Anthony, who did those mouth=watering commercials for Milky Way, Snickers and Mars Bars. Milky Way had "rich milk chocolate, smooth caramel and creamy nougat." Gosh, makes my Las Vegas hotel rooms tastebuds salivate even today. Boxes of 24 candy bars and "two tickets to next week's production here at the Pantages Theatre" were given as consolation prizes to those who answered incorrectly. A feature was "The Thought Twister", such as "Dick was sick, said Mick to Rick; Dick WAS sick, Mick to him said Rick." Dr. I.Q. would repeat the phrase "one and one time only", and the contestant would have one chance to correctly repeat it back. Great show, I never missed it, as you may be able to tell.
Phantom of the Opera Tickets | Las Vegas Deals

raindropz

Re: Host of Radio show asked queations: gave silver dollars

Postby raindropz » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:50 am

I too guess the show is Dr. I.Q., The Mental Banker, which is conducted in the same manner you narrated above and it was conducted by a person named Antony. I was a hard time fan of this show and regular person to hear this program. Thanks for reminding.

Return to “Quiz (and other audience participation) Show BBS”