Worm Wood Forest

Hosted by Jack French. You don't have to be a kid to read/post here; as long as you were one once upon a time.

Moderator: Jack French

Hal Evans

Worm Wood Forest

Postby Hal Evans » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:20 am

Back when the imagination wasn't limited to the size of a TV screen, I'd tune in a Worm Wood Forest radio show from some station waaay down south. The skip was good on Sunday morning out on my folks farm near Britton, South Dakota. What you never heard of term "skip?" Look it up. :) So now, the radio wave bounced down to the kitchen radio. Worm Wood Forest featured a bunch of animals having adventures out in the woods. I think it came out of the 50kW station in Little Rock, Arkansas. Anyone ever hear of this program series? (Hal Evans)

Jack French

Wormwood Forest

Postby Jack French » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:24 pm

While I never heard this show, Jay Hickerson's "3rd Revised Ultimate History" of OTR has the following entry regarding that series.

"Wormwood Forest" Aired on NBC from 1-8-49 to 4-30-49 on Saturday 5:15 PM (EST) Each episode 15 min. in length. Total run: 16 episodes, all of which are in circulation."

Jack French
Editor: RADIO RECALL
www.mwotrc.com

galenfott

Wormwood Forest

Postby galenfott » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:06 am

It actually was broadcast from Nashville, Tennessee. Tom Tichenor, a Nashville puppeteer, wrote and performed on the show.

Hal Evans

Postby Hal Evans » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:57 pm

Thanks, folks! And is it that they don't make AM radios very good anymore for DX listening or has the skip changed. Years ago I could pick up a ton on AM DX, even in the daytime.

Peyton

Re: Worm Wood Forest

Postby Peyton » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:16 am

When I first saw SOTW I was struck by the name Wormwood Forest because it sounds so familiar. I have looked to no avail for anything else with that name, except the forest at Chernobyl, which is a real life horror story. I thought maybe in The Hobbit or LOTR, but I was thinking of Mirkwood. And the scene in both of your clips, Lula, is much like what I visualize when I read The Hobbit when they travel through Mirkwood, very spooky indeed! These are great scenes!

Kitty

Re: Worm Wood Forest

Postby Kitty » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:46 pm

I listened to all episodes available of Wormwood Forest, and it definitely finishes in the middle. Digital Deli says there were 37, 15 minute episodes, and hearing the end of the last episode in circulation, I am hoping that there will be more to surface at some point. It was a full-on classic.... And Suzy Skunk is definitely Fraidy Cat of Cinnamon Bear fame!!

Return to “Kids Adventure Story BBS”