"Gangbusters" re: kidnapping spree 1938

Snazzy secretaries, ringing telephones, tommy guns, cops and wobbers.
Hosted by Stewart Wright

Moderator: Stewart

lakeeve

"Gangbusters" re: kidnapping spree 1938

Postby lakeeve » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:46 am

I am trying to find a Gangbusters show that was based on the real-life crime spree of John Couch and James Otis Meredith.

In August of 1938, they robbed a farmer in Missouri, took his car to Texas where they had a 30 minute running gun battle with police (with two female hitchikers with them no less).

They then jacked another car, taking the car's owner with them before releasing him in Northern Texas.

They abducted a socialite and her architect boyfriend in St Louis, driving their car to Minnesota where the two captives were bound and left in the woods outside the Twin Cities.

The FBI caught up with them in Northern Minnesota (near Effie, where I grew up) where Meredith was shot trying to escape. Couch was taken to a jail in St Paul where he removed some bricks in the wall with a spoon to escape before being recaptured 17 hours later.

I've talked to several old-timers in Northern Minnesota who remember the incident, and that a Gangbusters episode recreated it. Does anyone have a clue as to what episode this might be?

Thanks...Mark

Stewart
Site Admin

Postby Stewart » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:25 am

lakeeve asked:
[quote]I am trying to find a Gangbusters show that was based on the real-life crime spree of John Couch and James Otis Meredith.

. . . I've talked to several old-timers in Northern Minnesota who remember the incident, and that a Gangbusters episode recreated it. Does anyone have a clue as to what episode this might be? [/quote]

I believe the episode you are looking for is "The Case Of Meredith & Couch" which aired on November 13, 1942. The broadcast for this episode does not seem to have survived.

Signing off for now,

lakeeve

Postby lakeeve » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:49 pm

WOW!

Thanks...I'm pleased to find that such an episode actually was produced and not just bad collective memory from some folks who were around at the time.

I am doing a lot of research on these fellows and it is quite an interesting saga.

Too bad the episode didn't survive, I would have loved to have heard it.

Mark

lakeeve

Scripts

Postby lakeeve » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:40 pm

Does anyone know if a script of Gangbusters epsiode# 287 "The Case of Meredieth & Couch" exists?

Mark

Stewart
Site Admin

Gang Busters Scripts

Postby Stewart » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:48 pm

A fairly large number of Gang Busters Scripts do exist.

They are scattered around the country in several archives and libaries. An Internet search probably Will Not turn up most of them.

However, there is another source of information that would be useful in locating Gang Busters Scripts.

I would recommend that you check if your local libary has the following book in their collection or perhaps they can obtain it for you on inter-library loan:

A Resource Guide to the Golden Age of Radio
By Susan and David S. Siegel
Hardcover, 215 pages
ISBN: 1-891379-04-6 or 978-1-891379-04-8
Publication Date: 2006

This books lists several collections of papers on Gang Busters and its creator, Phillips H. Lord.

Signing off for now,

lakeeve

Postby lakeeve » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:51 pm

Thanks!
I have submitted a request through inter-library loan.
I'll let you know what I find out.

Mark

Return to “Golden Age Detective Shows BBS”