"Calling All Detectives"

Snazzy secretaries, ringing telephones, tommy guns, cops and wobbers.
Hosted by Stewart Wright

Moderator: Stewart

Jack French

"Calling All Detectives"

Postby Jack French » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:01 pm

Got this today from a California grad student. If anyone can help, please contact her by email.

Jack French
EdItor: RADIO RECALL

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm a graduate student in Film and Media Studies at the University of California at Santa Barbara. I'm currently researching the 40's Mutual radio show "Calling All Detectives." I've listened to several episodes, but only a few have the call-in component (my primary research focus) recorded nor I couldn't find any from 1945, the series' origin. I'm interested in tracing the trajectory of the show as well as the creation of "spatial" aural environments in detective radio.

Nicole Starosielski
nstarosielski@hotmail.com

Lou
Site Admin

Postby Lou » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:03 am

Jack -

With your vast background in OTR, radio sound effects, movies and investigative services :) , maybe you could tell us what "'spatial' aural environments" are?

Please use language any non-PhD in audiology could understand :wink:

Jack French

Clarification on "Calling All Detectives"

Postby Jack French » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:36 pm

A number of you have wondered what Nicole was talking about, as her grad school phraseology seemed to baffle some. To clarify things, I asked Nicole to explain her request a little more clearly....

Below is her response.

Jack French

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm trying to think of the ways sound helps us conceptualize space/ creates an aural ?environment,? rather than thinking of it as just a linear track/narrative. It?s mostly influenced by my experience in new media/virtual reality, where sound is one of the primary elements that gives the viewer a sense of location in environments. Hopefully investigating old radio shows in relation to new media theory will help me bring back/reformulate old time radio drama for new media technologies.

Nicole

Return to “Golden Age Detective Shows BBS”