Joseph Curtin & Alice Frost

Snazzy secretaries, ringing telephones, tommy guns, cops and wobbers.
Hosted by Stewart Wright

Moderator: Stewart

piqueroi

Joseph Curtin & Alice Frost

Postby piqueroi » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:39 am

When the announcer proclaimed these names my 8- and 9-year-old heart would pulsate with excitement as I knew I was about to experience another thrilling half hour with Mr. and Mrs. North, who were certain to run across a murder victim and through wit and happenstance reveal the perpetrator within the span of half an hour. And talk about sponsor identification. I still remember "Halo, everybody, Halo. Halo is the shampoo that glorifies your hair, so Halo shampoo, Halo." When Pam and Jerry appeared on television, I lamented that they were not portrayed by the radio actors. Fortunately some shows to exist from the era I remember and they're still enjoyable.

Scotty

Postby Scotty » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:07 am

I have yet to hear Alice Frost and Joseph Curtin on the radio series,
Mr. and Mrs. North.
But I have heard a handful of episodes with Richard Denning and Barbara Briton.
Which I thought was fairly well-done.

Hal Evans

Postby Hal Evans » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:22 am

I recall the Halo Shampoo commercial more than the show. It was the theme song of a vaudeville comedy pair, Eddy Hare (and can't recall his partner's name). So then the original song they used to sing is titled "Hello, Everybody."

Jack French

Pam and Jerry

Postby Jack French » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:29 pm

There should be no problem in find "Norths" episodes with Frost and Curtin. There are over 25 in circulation, available from most OTR dealers, and any of those prior to 1952 will feature Frost & Curtin. Some of these may be AFRS recordings where they chop off the cast credits, but it's still them.

Jack French
Editor: RADIO RECALL
<www>

piqueroi

Postby piqueroi » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:35 pm

This evening "Crimetime" played a Mr. & Mrs. North ... the characterizations of Curtin and Frost were delightful ... they truly were great radio actors with charming stage presence. I'm not knocking their TV replacements who were quite good, but listening to the duo who played the parts on radio for many years aptly demonstrate why the program was so popular. Does anyone know if there are any photographs of Joseph Curtin and Alice Frost as Mr. & Mrs. North?

Stewart
Site Admin

Postby Stewart » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:45 pm

piqueroi asked:
Does anyone know if there are any photographs of Joseph Curtin and Alice Frost as Mr. & Mrs. North?

There is a picture of both actors in the book "Radio Crime Fighters" by Jim Cox.
The book is published by McFarland and may be available at a library near you or through inter-liibrary loan.

Signing off for now,

bugwit

Re: Joseph Curtin & Alice Frost

Postby bugwit » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:04 pm

I heard them today on Sirius/XM as Mr. & Mrs. North. They were great! I first knew them as Richard Denning and Barbara Britton and at first they (Curtin $ Frost) sounded similar as, the way she said "Jerry!". Very enjoyable!

Return to “Golden Age Detective Shows BBS”