"The day radio went dark" - 1961?

Hosted by Jack French. A popular place for perusing a plethora of posts patently pertaining to radio's past. The updated, direct descendant of the original Old-Time Radio BBS on the WWW.

Moderator: Jack French

sparkletack

Postby sparkletack » Tue May 06, 2008 3:29 pm

I know (or heard somewhere) that there was a conspiracy of sorts to cancel a whole range of radio series on a single day in the early 1960s.

I've just spent two hours online searching for information about this, and have found nothing about it, with the exception that "Suspense" and "Johnny Dollar" seem to broadcast final episodes in the same day in 1961.

I'd love a little more information about this alleged agreement between networks to kill off OTR, and bring about the modern music-and "segment" based radio era overnight.

Stewart
Site Admin

Postby Stewart » Tue May 06, 2008 5:21 pm

Actually the date was Nov. 25, 1960 when CBS cancelled a large block of soap operas, including Ma Perkins.

Suspense and Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar last aired on CBS on September 30, 1962.

You can find out more about the last decade of network radio by reading the book "Say Goodnight Gracie: The Last Years of Network Radio" by Jim Cox
http://www.old-time.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=43

Signing off for now,

sparkletack

Postby sparkletack » Tue May 06, 2008 5:31 pm

Thanks, Stewart ... I just reserved a copy at my local library.

Return to “Main OTR BBS”