Driving 3,000 miles...what to listen to?

Hosted by Jack French. A popular place for perusing a plethora of posts patently pertaining to radio's past. The updated, direct descendant of the original Old-Time Radio BBS on the WWW.

Moderator: Jack French

raindog

Driving 3,000 miles...what to listen to?

Postby raindog » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:38 am

I'm driving from Portland to Chicago in August with my mother (who's nearly 70). I love OTR and she enjoys it as well.

My favorites have been Nick Carter, the Shadow, Sherlock Holmes, Johnny Dollar, 21st Precinct, and Speed Gibson. But I would probably enjoy comedies, dramas, and other things

Honestly, the universe of things I've listened to is not very broad...so...if you had 3,000 miles to kill...what would you listen to?

piqueroi

Re: Driving 3,000 miles...what to listen to?

Postby piqueroi » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:39 am

There's a very long run of Perry Mason (over half a year of consecutive episodes) which is totally absorbing. If your Mom is old enough to remember John Larkin, the original Mike Karr on TV's The Edge of Night, he's Perry and the story line is very good and suspenseful.
She'd also probably enjoy Our Miss Brooks, Henry Aldrich, Jack Benny, or any of those great radio sitcoms.

Dutch George

Re: Driving 3,000 miles...what to listen to?

Postby Dutch George » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:24 pm

A couple suggestions - one you may know and the other is a bit more obscure, perhaps.

1. The Six Shooter, a western starring Jimmy Stewart

2. Let George Do It - a detective series I've recently discovered. Skip the first five or six episodes when it was mostly a comedy. After those it became more of a mystery show with often suprising endings - it's somewhat serious at times but isn't very violent or "heavy".

Find both of these (and a zillion more) at www.archive.org.

Return to “Main OTR BBS”