light of the world

Hosted by Jim Cox, author of The Great Radio Soap Operas (31 Classic Daytime Dramas, 1930-1960)

Moderator: Jim Cox

janetyml

light of the world

Postby janetyml » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:11 am

Does anyone know where I can get this soap opera series: light of the world? I've looked everywhere and it doesn't seem to be online. I see that the Library of Congress has it, but my impression is you have to personally go to Washington to get it!

Thanks!
- Janet

Stewart
Site Admin

Library of Congress and OTR Shows

Postby Stewart » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:01 pm

The Library of Congress (LOC) does indeed store copies of many old-time radio shows. However, the Library does not the own of the shows. Any qualified person can access this material, or even get copies.

The process to obtain shows can be very long, frustrating and is Very Expensive.

Noted OTR Researcher and writer, Elizabeth McLeod, who has done much research in the area, has outlined the process in Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) File for OTR (Old-Time Radio.) See the below URL.

34. I keep reading/hearing about the LOC hoarding a bunch of unreleased OTR episodes. Is this true? How can I get them?

http://www.old-time.com/otrfaq.html#Answer34

NOTE: that the LOC Audio Transfer Rates now costs over $110.00 per hour.

ALSO NOTE: From Section 8 of FAQ 34:
Needless to say, you may not make any commercial use of the recording in whole or in part -- and you had to sign a contract to that effect in order to get access to it. Commercial permissions are a whole separate case.

Signing off for now,

Return to “Great Radio Soap Operas BBS”