Searching For Mother's Radio Past

Hosted by Jack French. A popular place for perusing a plethora of posts patently pertaining to radio's past. The updated, direct descendant of the original Old-Time Radio BBS on the WWW.

Moderator: Jack French

MoDef

Searching For Mother's Radio Past

Postby MoDef » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:20 am

Hello, my mother was a part time radio actress back in the late 30's early 40's. While at the University of Wisconsin, she studied under an English Professor; Professor Munz (sp) who encouraged her radio interest and got her into various roles on stations WHA (Madison) and WGN (Chicago).

She will be 86 years old this July and I'm attempting to find a script or, if really lucky, a recording of a show she played a role in. It would be a fantastic birthday present!

She has told me she traveled to the Merchandise Mart in Chicago on Fridays where she played a character called "Matilda"; she appeared several times with Gary Moore which leads me to believe this could have been around 1940. At that time, Mr. Moore had a show called Club Matinee and, later, Beat The Band. She told me she did other radio programs at WGN and Mr. Moore played other roles as well.

I'm looking for any recommendations or assistance in finding a bit of my mother's past. Her maiden name at that time was Lois F. Randall and, later following her marriage to my father, Lois F. Fields.

Thank you for your consideration of my mother and my search!

Dutch George

Re: Searching For Mother's Radio Past

Postby Dutch George » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:33 pm

There are two 1940 episodes of Beat The Band here:

http://tennesseebillsotr.com/otr/Beat%20The%20Bands/

Return to “Main OTR BBS”