Sam Spade/ First Nighter - Is this a real show?

Hosted by Jack French. A popular place for perusing a plethora of posts patently pertaining to radio's past. The updated, direct descendant of the original Old-Time Radio BBS on the WWW.

Moderator: Jack French

Lacey

Sam Spade/ First Nighter - Is this a real show?

Postby Lacey » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:43 am

I was going over my "extras" disk for my Sam Spade collection, the one with all the "other" shows Howard Duff appeared on as Sam Spade, when I cam across a "First Nighter" program. It is supposed to be a play in the "Little theater off Time Square" staring Sam Spade.

The copy I had did not have an episode list or a date so I tried to look it up.

First I went to OTTER but that listed all the episodes (829) and I was not sure of the actual title. (it is supposed to be a spoof). No Luck

I then went to RadioGold Index and tried to look up the title, then any episode with Sam Spade, then any episode with Howard Duff (who was listed in the broadcast as Sam Spade). No Luck

I finally went to the Howard Duff page and tried to search to find "The First Nighter" listing for his work. No Luck.

I have the recording and it uses the opening and sponsor credit and is a full program. Only it does not appear to exist. Did Howard Duff do a First Nighter program and if so when? If he did not then what "Journey to the Unknown" did I take?

For those unfamiliar with the show, here it is for your listening pleasure.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ynucz1ttyzm/The First Nighter Program - Sam Spade Spoof.mp3

Stewart
Site Admin

Re: Sam Spade/ First Nighter - Is this a real show?

Postby Stewart » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:43 pm

You may also want send a post with your information to The Internet Old-Time Radio Digest!

The Internet Old-Time Radio Digest, the oldest and largest mailing list dedicated to Old-Time Radio on the Net.
This list was started on September 14th, 1994 by Lou Genco, and has been going strong ever since!
It's a large group, with one or more digests released nearly every day.

To subscribe to The Internet Old-Time Radio Digest, go to
http://www.lofcom.com/nostalgia/maillist.phtml

Signing off for now,

Stewart

fireplug

Re: Sam Spade/ First Nighter - Is this a real show?

Postby fireplug » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:33 pm

Although this is a reply to an old post, I'm a new member and I have an answer.
The program was called "Misterr First Nighter" and it was on CBS in the evenings in the 1950'5. Mr. First Nighter and his date were seeing a Broadway play.

Return to “Main OTR BBS”