Song heard on Fibber McGee & Molly

Hosted by Jack French. A popular place for perusing a plethora of posts patently pertaining to radio's past. The updated, direct descendant of the original Old-Time Radio BBS on the WWW.

Moderator: Jack French

almeandre

Song heard on Fibber McGee & Molly

Postby almeandre » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:02 am

While listening to a Fibber McGee & Molly program several months ago, I heard a song that I swear was 'Kokomo' which Wikepedia says was written by the Beach Boys. If it wasn't 'Kokomo', it was a similar song in which several tropical islands were named. I recall being surprised at the time to hear that song sung on FM&M because I thought it was more more recently recorded.
Does anyone recall hearing a song like that on FM&M?
I've been scanning through my mp3 collection of FM&M programs, trying to find that song again, but so far no luck.
A friend I mentioned this to says I'm crazy!

Thanks,

Al

Hal Evans

Re: Song heard on Fibber McGee & Molly

Postby Hal Evans » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:21 am

Hi Al! I'm Hal! :) In reply to your question, it had to be "Kokomo" by Vernon Parker (1916-1993) with co-credits Eunice Levy and Forest Wilson. Perry Como recorded a version of this tune in 1955 at the famed Webster Hall in New York City. That's the same recording space that Bill Haley's "Rock Around the Clock" was recorded in. :) I recall it as a great place to dance in on weekends. :) But it was a very popular recording space because the musicians could all hear each other very well.

Now then, the Crew Cuts had a version of this, too.

The only other possibility was that you heard the 1947 song "Kokomo Indiana" that was made popular by Vaughn Monroe. It was originally heard and seen in the movie "Mother Wore Tights" which starred Betty Grable and good old Dan Dailey. Ha! Words by Mack Gordon. Melody by Josef Myrow.

It definitely was not the Beach Boys song you heard. :) :)

Return to “Main OTR BBS”