Advertising Agencies

Hosted by Jack French. A popular place for perusing a plethora of posts patently pertaining to radio's past. The updated, direct descendant of the original Old-Time Radio BBS on the WWW.

Moderator: Jack French

C Meyers

Advertising Agencies

Postby C Meyers » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:56 pm

I am researching the role of advertising agencies in OTR. I began this research about 15 years ago, joining the original OTR list-serv I believe back when there were fewer available recordings and limited archival sources.

Although I have now developed a manuscript based on NBC and agency archives, I imagine there are documents, scripts, reminiscences, advertisements, and interviews out there that OTR members may know of but are not in public archives. For example, former Young & Rubicam radio executive Hubbell Robinson wrote an autobiography that was never published, I think it was titled "Wanderer in the Wasteland," and my archive searches never turned it up.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone at OTR who would like to share any knowledge about advertising agencies and OTR.

Thank you!

Postby piqueroi » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:48 am

This may be connected to OTR as Irving Vendig wrote the Perry Mason daytime serial for many years before creating TV's Edge of Night. Nearly 30 years ago I spoke to Mr. Vendig about Search for Tomorrow and Edge of Night. EoN was a P&G show, Benton Boles the advertising agency. Vendig had a list of then-current BB employees whose names were actually used for characters on EoN. One of these BB employees, Philip Capice, went on to greater TV fame as a producer. It's scary to realize 5 decades later that there really were a Frank Dubeck, Terry DeMarco, Teresa Vetter, etc.

Jack French

Radio Advertising

Postby Jack French » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:05 pm

Your topic is covered well in Jim Cox's new book, "Sold On Radio" which McFarland Publishing released this May.

Jack French

Return to “Main OTR BBS”