Help finding audio

Hosted by Jack French. A popular place for perusing a plethora of posts patently pertaining to radio's past. The updated, direct descendant of the original Old-Time Radio BBS on the WWW.

Moderator: Jack French

klompton

Help finding audio

Postby klompton » Wed May 07, 2008 5:28 pm

Hi there,
I was wondering if you could help me. I am working on a project and Im trying to find a recording of Major J. Andrew White's voice. He was an early radio broadcaster and editor of Wireless Age in the teens and twenties. He was the radio announcer for the Jack Dempsey-Georges Carpentier fight and also Calvin Coolidges Inauguration ceremony which I believe exists recorded. Would any of you have any suggestions about how to find audio of White?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much

Steve

Lou
Site Admin

Postby Lou » Wed May 07, 2008 7:32 pm

All Things Considered, April 11, 2006 · The Library of Congress has selected 50 recordings to preserve in the National Recording Registry. It includes a Modesto, Calif., high school band playing Beethoven in 1930, a recording of the first official transatlantic telephone conversation, Calvin Coolidge's 1925 inauguration, and the radio broadcast of the Joe Louis, Max Schmeling fight in 1938.

You can hear that recording by visiting the NPR site, by clicking on the link below. You may also check with the Library of Congress to get a copy of the preserved recording. (The snippet at the NPR site may not have major White's voice)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=5336983

Return to “Main OTR BBS”