CBS Radio Mystery Theater: Episode Guide

Read a good book on OTR lately? Share your comments about it here
Lou
Site Admin

CBS Radio Mystery Theater: Episode Guide

Postby Lou » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:55 pm

Last one. "The CBS Radio Mystery Theater: An Episode Guide and Handbook to Nine Years of Broadcasting, 1974 - 1982" I was reluctant about getting this one as I only like old radio and not new, but a friend of mine actually suggested I get a copy and I am now glad I did. I heard an episode of a show years ago and all this time i thought it was a Suspense episode. Now I know it was a CBS RMT episode! This book is definately a winner. Co-written by Gordon Payton and Martin Grams, Jr., this hardcove book is available from McFarland for a steep $65 price. But if you love OTR, this is THE book on the program. The memories, recollections and trivia are great and the plot descriptions are top notch. The index is almost 40 pages thick! I have read other books by Mr. Grams and his work is clearly seen. Questions: 1. Who is Gordon Payton? 2. Is there a one-stop source for CBS RMT episodes? 3. What other books are there of Mr. Grams? I only have three so far and treasure them all. He is the best damn author in Old Time Radio and I hope he has written others. Please post a response if you know where i can get any others.

jhucks1070@aol.com

Monsterwax

Re: CBS Radio Mystery Theater: Episode Guide

Postby Monsterwax » Sat May 22, 2010 10:02 am

The CBS Radio Mystery Theater
An Episode Guide and Handbook to Nine Years of Broadcasting, 1974?1982
Gordon Payton and Martin Grams, Jr.

ISBN 978-0-7864-1890-9
appendices, index
485pp. softcover 2004 [1999]

Retail Price: $45.00

(You can call McFarkand toll-free 800-253-2187 to order.)

Description:
Almost every evening for nine years during the late 1970s and early 1980s, the CBS Radio Mystery Theatre brought monsters, murderers and mayhem together for an hour. Created, produced and directed by Himan Brown, the series remains a landmark in radio drama. This book is a detailed history and episode guide to the show.

Descriptive information includes exact titles, airdates and rebroadcast dates, episode numbers, cast lists, writer and adapter credits, and a storyline synopsis. This material comes directly from CBS press releases in order to insure complete accuracy. Also included wherever possible are information about the actors and actresses, quotes from performers and writers (many from personal interviews), anecdotes about various scripts and sound effects, and other notes of interest.

About the Author:
Gordon Payton is a radio drama actor, director, producer and archivist. He lives in Collingswood, New Jersey. Martin Grams, Jr., has written a number of books on the performing arts. He lives in Delta, Pennsylvania.

Return to “OTR Book Review BBS”